A community high above the city carries the scapenft coingeckoars of 40 years of war. So do the families who live here. War punctuates all their stories.
The jitters among the markets also come as the global economy is still recovering from the impact of the coronavirus.solana crypto ownerOn Monday, the Dow Jones index in the US ended 1.8% lower. That followed similar falls in Europe, with Germany's Dax index losing 2.3%, and the Cac 40 in France down 1.7%.
Major stock exchanges in mainland China were closed on Monday and Tuesday for the annual mid-Autumn festival.Despite the recent falls, Japan's Nikkei is up by almost 30% compared to a year ago."The fear of an Evergrande bankruptcy appears to be leading to concern about China's very own Lehman [Brothers] moment, and a big overspill across the region," said Michael Hewson of CMC Markets.Investors are also nervous that the US Federal Reserve, which meets on Tuesday and Wednesday, will confirm plans to cut back support for the US economy this year.Global stocks have rallied as economies reopen and central banks have provided trillions of dollars in support to boost growth.
But there are concerns of a decline if support is taken away at a time when the Delta variant of coronavirus continues to drag on recovery.Strategists at Morgan Stanley said they expected a 10% correction in America's S&P 500 index as the Fed starts to unwind its support.But the police have been working on building up evidence of his role, a process described as "challenging" but which has eventually led to today's announcement.
"We remain as determined as ever to bring those responsible to justice," said Dean Haydon, assistant commissioner at the Metropolitan Police and senior national coordinator for counter-terrorism policing.The charges authorised against the three men are conspiracy to murder, attempted murder, causing grievous bodily harm and use and possession of a chemical weapon.Chepiga and Mishkin appeared on Russian TV after being identified in 2018 and said they had been to the city simply as tourists to see the cathedral. Russia has always denied any involvement.Traces of Novichok were found in Chepiga and Mishkin's hotel room, although none were found in that used by Sergeev.
The Novichok in the perfume bottle could potentially have killed thousands of people, police say.But there remain significant gaps in the investigation, including how the Novichok came into the UK and where it was between its use in March and its discovery in June in Amesbury in a discarded perfume bottle.
Dawn Sturgess died days after spraying some of the bottle's contents on herself.The police are asking the public to get in touch if they have any more details of Sergeev's movements in London or that of the perfume bottle.Sergeev, aged around 50, is believed to be in Russia, like the other two suspects. Russia has always said it cannot extradite its citizens.The UK authorities will inform Interpol to seek his arrest if he does travel outside of the country.
"We now have the evidence that links them to the GRU," Mr Haydon said. "All three are dangerous individuals."Intelligence also links Sergeev and the team to a trail of covert activities across Europe.Sergeev is alleged to be a major general and senior member of Unit 29155 of the GRU, a team tasked with sabotage, subversion and assassination. He joined the team after serving in Russian special forces.Bulgarian authorities say Sergeev and two other men from Unit 29155 checked into hotels in the capital Sofia in April 2015, insisting on rooms with a view of the underground car park.
Surveillance of that car park released by a Bulgarian prosecutor shows one man approaching the cars of a Bulgarian arms dealer Emilian Gebrev, as well as his son and business partner.A toxic substance is believed to have been smeared on the handles - similar to the way Novichok was placed on the handle of Sergei Skripal's house. They would fall ill but survive.
Although he had a return flight booked two days later, Sergeev left the country on 28 April - the day of the poisoning. He may be the man caught on CCTV in the car park.Chepiga and Mishkin, meanwhile, have been linked to a blast that tore apart an ammunition storage depot used by Emilian Gebrev in a forest in the Czech Republic on 16 October 2014, killing two.
The accusation by Czech authorities this summer led to a major diplomatic row with Russia and the expulsion of diplomats from a number of countries.It followed investigative work by European security services who, since Salisbury, have tracked the travel of the three suspects as well as others from the unit to see if they can link it with covert activity.For Sergeev, this includes visits to Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria as well as other countries.He is also believed to have been in touch with members of the GRU unit involved in a planned coup in Montenegro in 2016.UK police also say they believe the three all travelled to the UK before March 2018. They say they continue to investigate other suspects.Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has launched an investigation into a data breach involving the email addresses of dozens of Afghan interpreters who worked for British forces.
More than 250 people seeking relocation to the UK - many of whom are in hiding - were mistakenly copied into an email from the Ministry of Defence.Their email addresses could be seen by all recipients, showing people's names and some associated profile pictures.
The MoD has apologised in a statement.The email was sent to interpreters who remain in Afghanistan or have been able to get to other countries.
Conservative MP and former defence minister Johnny Mercer told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The reality is we've left the vast, vast majority of our interpreters behind so this is going to have a profound impact on people who are still in the country."He said he had spoken to the brother of one man, trained by the UK to serve in Afghan special forces, who had been executed after the evacuation by the US and UK and whose family is now on the run.
Failings by the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office had led to Afghan allies being "hunted ruthlessly by the Taliban", he said.The email was sent by the team in charge of the UK's Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (Arap), which has been in contact with them since the Taliban took control of the country last month.The team told the interpreters it was doing everything it could to help relocate them.It also said they should not put themselves or their families at risk if it was not safe for them to leave their current location.
But one interpreter who received the email realised that more than 250 Afghans who worked with British forces had been copied into the email."This mistake could cost the life of interpreters, especially for those who are still in Afghanistan," they told the BBC.
"Some of the interpreters didn't notice the mistake and they replied to all the emails already and they explained their situation which is very dangerous. The email contains their profile pictures and contact details."The MoD then sent another email 30 minutes later with the title "Urgent - Arap case contact" asking the recipients to delete the previous email and warning "your email address may have been compromised".
It recommended the interpreters change their email addresses.Labour shadow defence secretary John Healey said the data breach had "needlessly put lives at risk" and called on the government to urgently step up efforts to get the interpreters to the UK.
After the BBC approached the Ministry of Defence, the defence secretary was angry enough to order an immediate inquiry.It's likely this data breach was just human error, and the apology is certainly sincere, but there are obviously concerns if the email addresses, names and pictures fall into the wrong hands.While the military evacuation on the ground was rightly lauded, the failure to get all those who worked with British forces out has left hundreds stranded and in hiding.Just this week we spoke to the family of an eight-month-old British baby who is still stuck there, an interpreter who is on the run fearing for his life, and another interpreter who just does not know what to do.
This data breach just compounds their safety concerns.An MoD spokeswoman said an investigation had been launched into what Mr Wallace called an "unacceptable breach".
"We apologise to everyone impacted by this breach and are working hard to ensure it does not happen again," she said.She added that the MoD "takes its information and data handling responsibilities very seriously".
Tobias Ellwood MP, who chairs the defence select committee, welcomed the investigation but said it was more pressing to get the interpreters out of the country as soon as possible."Each day they remain in the country the risk of them not making it out increases," he said.